The Xiaomi Mi wifi Extender (or Repeater) is a handy device that extends the user’s wifi network. Most of us know that the range of wifi networks is limited. If you have a large house staying connected to your wifi is a big problem, this is where wifi extenders come into play.
These devices ensure that you have a reliable, strong internet connection anywhere in the building. You may have bought the Mi wifi Extender or the Xiaomi Mi wifi Extender Pro because you’re tired of weak and spotty connections when you’re far from the main router.
This article will help you how to set up and configure your Mi wifi Extender for Use with your router. These instructions also apply to the newer Xiaomi Mi wifi Extender Pro.
How Does wifi Extender Work?
Wifi extenders come in two form factors: small devices that plug into an electrical outlet and larger desktop devices, which often contain Ethernet ports. Both types extend the coverage area of your router.
When you have set up an extender, you can choose two networks (router and Extender) on two bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. You have to connect your device to the Extender the first time manually.
Saving allows you to easily switch between the router and the extender network, whichever is more robust at any given time. The default network name and password for a wifi extender depend on the manufacturer.
You may also like : Ninebot F40 is now available for $599.99 only
How Do I set up a wifi Extender?
- Download the Mi Home App from Play Store (Android) or App Store(iOS).
- Open the app on your smartphone.
- Please read the Terms and Conditions and then agree to them.
- Select the region as India. Tap on Sign in and log into your existing account if you don’t have an account tap on Sign up and create a new Mi Account.
- Plugin the Extender to the power source, please note that the device comes with a USB port so you will have to connect it to a suitable adapter or a power bank. Once the device gets on, Yellow LED will start glowing at the rear side of the device.
- Select Add Device.
- Select your Mi wifi Extender.
- Now select your wifi network and make sure the wifi is on.
- Enter the password and select Ok.
- Tap on Next.
- The message will pop up as “Device Added”. It will connect you to the existing wifi Router.
- Tap on Done.
- Now select the device location from the given list Bedroom, Living Room, Kitchen, etc.
- Tap on Use Now to get started. The Extender will glow with Blue Light.
- The wifi ID of the Extender ends with _plus. The password for the network remains the same as for your router.
- Now exit the Mi Home App and connect to the _Plus network.
You can set up Xiaomi wifi Extender Pro in a similar manner.
Editor’s Choice Best Wi-Fi Router
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
How do I reset my Xiaomi wifi extender?
- Switch on the wifi Extender.
- Insert a PIN in the reset hole provided just below the LED indicator.
- Hold the reset button for a few seconds until the light turns Yellow.
- Now, open the Mi Home app and configure the Extender.
How do I reset my wifi extender password?
- Open Mi Home App on your device.
- Select the wifi Extender from the home screen.
- Tap on wifi Settings.
- Remove the existing name and enter a new name.
- Enter the new password.
- You can hide the wifi ID by enabling the Hide network option.
- Tap on Ok and the username and password are changed.
How does a wifi extender work?
Ans: A wifi extender does what its name tells you: it extends your wifi signal. If you live or work in a vast room, a wifi extender will spread your wifi signal throughout the room.
These devices connect to the router wirelessly and extend the wifi signal to areas that the router cannot reach. You may face some problems and have to go through some trial and error with physical placement before making a decision.